Municipal elections 2017

In the municipal sphere, when it comes to making important decisions, citizens can exercise their democratic right in two ways.

  • Representative democracy allows citizens, during municipal elections, to name the elected officials who will represent them when it is time to make decisions.
  • Direct democracy allows citizens to participate directly in making the decision. This occurs during a referendum.

Since 2005, municipal elections take place simultaneously every 4 years in all municipalities in Québec. Referendums, on the other hand, are organized periodically under certain circumstances in order to allow the population to express its wishes on a given issue.

As far as the Municipality is concerned, the most important person in the case of an election or referendum is the returning officer. This is generally the Municipality’s registrar or secretary-treasurer. The returning officer is responsible for conducting, in a neutral and impartial manner, all of the operations required for the democratic exercise in which all La Pêche electors are called to take part.

To learn more about municipal elections

From the citizens’ point of view, the most important thing, in the case of an election or referendum, is to be included on the list of electors, so that they can vote.

List of electors and referendum list

To exercise your right to vote, you must, at the time of voting, be an elector or a qualified voter of the Municipality and be entered on the list of electors or the referendum list drawn up for the purposes of the municipal election or referendum.

In Québec, citizens have the freedom to choose to be registered on a list of electors or on a referendum list. They also decide whether or not they will participate in the polls.

Qualified Elector at an Election

To be a qualified elector, you must:

  • be 18 years old of age on polling day,


  • September 1 in the year of a general election, or at the time of a by-election, at the date on which the writ of election is published:
  • be a Canadian citizen;
  • not be under curatorship;
  • not have been found guilty of an offence that is a corrupt electoral practice;


      • at that same date (September 1st or date of publication of the notice of election), you must meet one of the following two conditions:
      • be domiciled in the municipality and have been domiciled in Québec for at least six months;
      • have been, for at least 12 months, the owner of an immovable or the occupant of a business establishment situated on the territory of the municipality.

      An elector who is not domiciled in the municipality, but who is theowner of an immovable or the occupant of a business establishment situated on the territory of the municipality must transmit a signed writing to the municipality asking to have his name added to the list of electors.

      Persons who are co-owners of an immovable or co-occupants of a business establishment must designate from among themselves, by means of a power of attorney sent to the municipality, only one person who can be entered on the list of electors.

      Verification of Entry

      At the beginning of the election period, the returning officer and referendum president will publish a notice explaining the registration process, if applicable. Remember that your name must be correctly entered on the list of electors if you want to vote.

      You can also contact the office of the returning officer of your municipality to check your entry on the list of electors.

      If your name is missing from the list or you have found an error, you must go before the board of revisors to make an application for entry on or correction to the list of electors. The location where the board of revisors will be in session will be specified in the notice published by the returning officer and in the information on the current poll.

      Did you moved?

      You must go before the board of revisors to make an application to correct the list of electors. To change your entry, you must presen two indentification documents.

      One document must mention your name and your date of birth:  birth certificate, health insurance card, passport.The other document must indicate your name and the address of your domicile:  driver's licence, phone bill, electricity bill, certificate of citizenship.

      Where is the board of revisors?

      To find out the location, the dates and times of operation of the board of revisors, please consult the notice published by the returning officer prior to the election or contact the returning officer of your municipality.